Sunday, February 4, 2007

I love piano! :)

Oh, I just love to play the piano! It always makes me feel so much better. I was getting really stressed out about school and so I took a few minutes to go play (after eating some strawberry shortcake...;)), and I feel so happy right now! It's fun to just bang around with a fun song and then to play something so beautiful it can make you almost cry while playing it. I just got finished playing a bunch of different pieces, but I think that my favorite that I just played was "Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum" by Debussy. It's from his Children's Corner Suite. It's a really weird name, but an absolute delight to play!! :) It is a very happy song.

Playing the piano is my way of letting everything out. I love to play whenever I need to express my emotions. A lot of times I'm just itching to play! Mostly I love to play beautiful, expressive pieces, but I also like fun pieces like "Golliwog's Cakewalk" or "Pampillion (Butterfly)". One composer that I like that isn't very popular anymore is Edvard Grieg. My piano teacher used to have a huge book that was a collection of his pieces, and I borrowed it from her as often as I could. Most of his pieces are extremely challenging (a lot of them are on the level of Liszt with lots of runs and stretches and 32nd or even 64th notes), but I found quite a few that I could play. He wrote "In the Hall of the Mountain King", which always reminded me of the part in The Hobbit where Bilbo and the dwarfs are captured by the goblins and taken deep into the mountain. It seems as if you can almost hear the goblins marching around in that piece! I haven't played it in years, but it was one of my favorite pieces to play when I was about 13 or 14. I really should see if I can find some good Grieg music again. I haven't played any of his pieces since my piano teacher moved 2 or 3 years ago.

Well I'd better get to bed. I am in a mood where I really could talk about music all night, but I have class tomorrow and I need to get some sleep. I'm sorry to anyone who read this and was completely bored by it!! hehe! I guess when you have over 10 years worth of pieces stored up in your brain you have to let it out sometime... ;)

No comments: